Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Everything + the kitchen sink


This time of year our ranch chores consume most of the day....by the time I feed in the am...take a ride in the afternoon, work with babies, young horses ( older than babies ) do some barn chores in prep for springtime and foaling/breeding season, then do feeding again, there is not much time left in the day....

So on occasion, I will get a chance to sit at the barn, listen to my horses eat their breakfast, give the barn cats a little attention and plan my next project. Yesterday, while "on break" I noticed an area of the barn that had been untouched for awhile...it was behind a couple of round bales, and needed some tidying up now that the bales are gone. I also came across my "sink" ...years ago, probably close to 10 years ago, I bought one of those sinks designed to be used in a garage or shop...but....only after I bought it, did I realize, where I wanted to put it, there was no water source, and most likely no chance of getting a water source any time soon...so, it kind of went into storage. Well, yesterday, when I came across the sink, and all the supplies to complete the project ( sans the water source ) I got to thinking.....could it go somewhere near my arena now?

My first thought was to put it near my horse bathing area at the front of our arena...We have a wash rack, I keep one of those deck benches there also,to store bathing supplies.....but, as I thought on it, I decided to put it in back of the arena, where I more frequently work ( it tends to be cooler in the summer, than the front, which can be blistering hot ) . Every summer, I wash all my supplies in that area, brushes, halter and lead ropes, rags, tools, I like to keep things clean. I don't drag them up to the house anymore like I used too, and what a great spot for my outdoor kitchen sink! So, with a few tools in hand, an idea of how I wanted to set things up, and in a few minutes waaaa laaaaa, my very own kitchen sink, in a highly usable area that will make my summer chores a little handier. I did have to modify my location a bit, to make it unreachable by the horses in the arena, basically I moved it from flush against the corral panels to the outside of the main post....now it is bolted down, has its own hose to the all weather waterfaucet, and will be a real helpful addition to my arena.....esp.. compared to taking up storage space in the barn...now...if I can just do something with all those model car kits Matthew still has stored there!

No comments:

Post a Comment